FLASH FLOOD SAFETY
Flooding can happen when thunderstorms bring lots of rain to an area in a short amount of time. The flood safety tips below were adapted from NOAA.
- Go to higher ground! Climb to safety.
- Avoid areas that are already flooded. Do not try to cross streams, even if they look small and shallow.
- Tell your family members not to drive through flooded roadways!
- Playing around high water, storm drains, viaducts, or arroyos can be very dangerous. Do not attempt to cross even a small stream on foot.
- Check the forecast and watch the weather: Listen to the radio, watch TV, and check online for watches and warnings. The National Weather Service issues Flood Watches when heavy rain is occurring or is expected to cause flooding soon and Flood Warnings when flooding is a current danger.