In this activity, students brainstorm various ways that an uninflated balloon placed over a bottle's opening can be inflated without touching the balloon.
- Teacher preparation: 20 minutes
- Introduction for students: 10 minutes
- Student activity: 30 minutes
- Class discussion/analysis: 10 minutes
Student Learning Objectives
- Students learn that air's volume changes with temperature
- Students learn that air can both expand and contract depending on whether its temperature increases or decreases
- Students learn that warming air increases the volume inside a balloon, no matter whether the balloon is pointing upwards, to the side, or downwards.