Modeling Carbon Dioxide with a Bathtub
For more information about the "Climate Bathtub" model, as described by John D. Sterman and Linda Booth Sweeney:
- "Understanding Public Complacency About Climate Change: Adults' mental models of climate change violate conservation of matter" (2007) by John D. Sterman and L. Booth Sweeney. Climatic Change, 80, 213-238.
- "Bathtub Dynamics: Initial Results of a Systems Thinking Inventory" (2000) by L. Booth Sweeney and John D. Sterman. System Dynamics Review, 16, 249-294.
- "Risk Communication on Climate: Mental Models and Mass Balance" (2008) by John D. Sterman. Science, 24 October 2008: Vol. 322 no. 5901 pp. 532-533.
Graphics that describe the bathtub and carbon cycle:
- Carbon Bathtub diagram from National Geographic (December 2009)
- Carbon cycle diagram from the Department of Energy (without numbers)
- Carbon cycle diagram from the Department of Energy (with numbers)
- Carbon cycle diagram from the IPCC
- Carbon cycle diagram from NASA