Lesson 5: Risk & Vulnerability
Students are introduced to the concepts of risk and vulnerability by considering the different factors that cause some communities to experience more land loss than others. The lesson plan, including teacher instructions, for Lesson 5 is linked below:
- Lesson 5: Risk & Vulnerability - Students will understand the difference between risk and vulnerability and be able to identify and analyze the risks impacting their coastal communities.
- Teacher Preparation Time: approximately 20 min to gather supplies and review material
- Class Time: 50 minutes for activity and discussion
Louisiana Student Standards for Science:
- HS-EVS1-3: Analyze and interpret data about the consequences of environmental decisions to determine the risk-benefit values of actions and practices implemented for selected issues..
- Science and Engineering Practices: Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
- Disciplinary Core Ideas: ESS3.C: Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Crosscutting Concepts: Stability and Change